Friday, January 4, 2013

DAY 199: Päästä

Today (Jan 5) I decided to take the daily time limit for studying Finnish more seriously. I read the books for 30 minutes and spent 15 minutes to summarize what I've learned here. If I want to learn Finnish 45 minutes for everyday I must not let it stretch further than that limit.
I did the first 3 exercises of kappale 5 in Kuulostaa hyvältä. I noticed a very important verb in the first exercise...

Päästä
Wiktkionary gives these definitions for it:
  1. (intransitive) To get to, reach, arrive at/in (a place).
    Kuinka pääsen lentokentälle?
    How do I get to the airport?
  2. (intransitive) To get to go, be allowed/permitted to go.
  3. (intransitive) To get in, be admitted to.
  4. (intransitive) (+ illative) To make it to, get to (a place/level), reach, attain, achieve.
  5. (intransitive) (+ act. 3rd inf. in illat.) To manage (to do; to happen by accident).
  6. (intransitive) (+ elative) To get rid of (a person); to get over (a feeling).
  7. (intransitive) To avoid, escape, get out of, not have/need, be spared the necessity of (doing/to do = act. 3rd inf. in elat.).
  8. (intransitive) (+ elative) To evade, elude, escape, get off/by.
  9. (intransitive) To be released/discharged (from a hospital; from prison)
So basically it works as "get" in English. It's very handy and has a high frequency in Finnish.
Miten Minä pääsen kotiin?
How do I get home?

Exercises 2 and 3 were about the ssa - lla, ... case endings. I don´t quite get them yet. I don´t know when to use lla and when to use ssa exactly. I just guess and I´m wrong sometimes. In this example only when something was on the table lla was used. In other cases where something was in the city or in the fridge, ... ssa was added as case ending.
Another problem with this exercise was deciding on the objects´ form. Should I make it a partitive or not?

Asuuko Juttta toisesa kerroksessa`?
Does jutta live on second floor?

It was also interesting that tämä turns into tässä.
tämä kaupunki - yliopisto
Täassä kaupungissa on yliopisto.

Jääkaappi - maito
Jääkaapissa on maitoa.  (maito is in Partitivi)


I think that's enough for today.


2 comments:

  1. Boy that language sounds hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it is! I hope you don't have to learn it! I do and it's killing me, seriously.

      Delete