Saturday, January 5, 2013

DAY 200: Taivas On Sininen Kaikkialla

Taivas
Today I got stuck at a couple of exercises from kappale 5 of Kuulosta Hyvältä. I just don't get it. It's about when to use partitive form and when not to use it. For example:
 Jääkaapissa on maitoa. (here maito is in partitive form).
but
Keskustassa on ravintola. (the same kind of sentence but ravintola is not in partitive form.)
I'll get it one day, it doesn't matter.
Then I moved to my reading book "AAMU" and worked on a couple of pages.

Minkä värinen on taivas?
sky
Now that I know what is sky in Finnish I can translate an old Persian saying into Finnish, I hope it's correct:
Taivas on sininen kaikkialla.
The sky is blue everywhere, so basically it doesn't matter where you live. I say this is basically BS though :).
Meri on tyynellä sininen.
tyynni, is all.
Myryskyllä meri on musta ja harmaa.
Stormy
Talvella havumetsä on tummanvihreä.
evergreen woods
Lehtimetsä on valkoinen. 
Lehti is leaf, sheet, newspaper,... so lehtimetsä must be a leafy jungle.

And a sentimental phrase as the ending inf todays' Finnish learning:
Rakkaus on sateenkaaren värinen.
Sateenkaari is rainbow.



4 comments:

  1. Jääkaapissa on maitoa. (here maito is in partitive form) - It's "maitoa" here because milk is uncountable.

    Keskustassa on ravintola. (the same kind of sentence but ravintola is not in partitive form.) - Yes, grammatically it's same kind of sentence but "ravintola" is countable; therefore, it doesn't require partitiivi.

    First sentence could be "Jääkaapissa on tölkki maitoa. (here "tölkki" is countable and therefore it doesn't take partitiivi. But "maitoa" stays the same as before because this time it has "tölkki" in front of it.

    - tölkki maitoa
    - kuppi teetä
    - paketti kahvia

    I hope this explanation makes things easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rabia your explanation made it all clear. Actually I don't know why the book didn't use that argument!
      Kiitos :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete